Friday, February 3, 2012

Manchester

Written February 3, 2012

I decided to stay the week in Manchester which was very fun. I get to know a new great fund Vanessa. We had so much fun getting dinner, drinks, looking at places and exploring Manchester. Manchester is a great city. The city center is very small so you can walk from each area into almost a new city within a few blocks.

Saturday night I we and met up with Laura and Natalie, two friends of a friend from the us. We went to a bar that was giving out beads for Mardi Gais. Because I was American and knew what the holiday actually was they gave me about 10 things of beads and a mask to wear around. Very fun! We went out dancing then to Chinese karaoke which


is very famous and very fun to do! It's basically a normal bar with people dancing and then a stage where you could sing.


Sunday Vanessa and I went to the Chinatown new years celebration. It was very crowded since chinatown is only a couple blocks. There were dragons and street vendors selling great food. We waited around till it got dark (6pm hahaha it gets dark so early!) the fireworks were right in the middle of the city...I couldn't believe we were only 50 yards from where they were lighting them off! It would never happen in the states hahaha. We picked a spot and started waiting for the fireworks at 5pm. At about 545 we notice there was a Chinese little house in front of us and our view (even though we were at the front) would be majorly obstructed. It ended up working out even if we missed the middle of the show. The fireworks went on for about 30 minutes. My favorite ( and as some people know I have a lot of favorite fireworks hahaha) was the pinwheels that spun and shot out fireworks.














Monday night I switched back to the Preston Marriott which turned out to be more of an inconvenience than anything. But it was nice to see all the people that work there since I know most of them now!

Tuesday I was invited to my first footy (football/soccer) game by Pete! We went to the Manchester united versus Stoke City. When I asked where Stoke City was they told me....Stoke City...hahaha well where is that....Stoke City...o man...finally found out it is south and hour. Trying to park was very interesting. I kept making wrong turns (shocking) and ended up driving around the whole stadium which can be quite hard for me in the traffic. I turned too early and ended up in a KFC which took me 10 minutes to get out of the working lot. Pete told me the food you need to eat at footy is pie. I was a bit scared but decided to get the meat and potato one. They give you these pre wrapped pies in a tin foil dish. It was soo hot I could barley hold it let alone get it out of the dish and into my mouth with no silverware or place toast anything down because of course we got a beer as well. I surprisingly was about to eat the whole thing without getting it all over myself! It was very good. You are not allowed to drink alcoholic drinks if you can see the pitch (field). I guess people get to rowdy.











Pete got the tickets from a friend who works for the team so we had 4th row seats at almost the goal line. It made it very fun! I couldn't believe it! We were right near the stoke city section so we could hear their songs and chats they whole time. They come up with really funny and clever chats to make fun of the other team. They also sing songs like "swing low sweet chariot" which I only know from when I was little. Between the guest side and the other fans they are a row of two security guards all the way up the steps. It is to make sure there are not fights. I guess at rival games they gave even more security. Also when ever there is a pause in the game security guards stand up around the entire pitch to make sure people don't come on the field. The game ended up 2-0 Manchester united. Both goals were made by penalty kicks.

Wednesday night I checked back into Manchester because I had to take an early flight to London to check on my supplier's supplier. There was been a huge issue at work and I needed to verify the fix. It was very interesting to take a one day business trip! Also it meant I was going to take 3 flights in 24 hours. The trip was pretty seamless got a car drove to a supplier. I got to learn a lot about ejection seats and parachutes too. I think it is the only company that can have pictures of plane crashes all over the walls and be advertising their product.

When I got back I was going to stay at the Hilton hotel at the airport. I landed, got my rental car and checked not the hotel. I asked if they would store my stuff from Friday till Monday and they agreed. I got my stuff up to the room and went to drop of my car. Oslo is really expensive so I picked up some wine to take once i finally found the store then went to return my rental car. I returned the car then went out to wait forte hotel bus. I waited about 15 minutes in the 30 degree weather then decided to walk. Since it is a pretty big airport I decide to walk the long way which I thought had side walks. As I walked I found the booth to wait for hotel cars that you are suppose dot call...whoops. But being stubborn I decided I would still walk even though it as cold and I as wearing heels. I walked back through the other side of the rental return parking garage and found some pathways...super dark and super creepy. I crossed the road and followed the signs. I walked under and overpass and through all these little areas. After 10 minutes I saw I sign that said the pathway was closed to the Hilton. I had already walked most of the way and wasn't going to turn back I figured it wasn't really blocked and I would just go. Well it was blocked and the street was turned into one lane each way with a speed limit of 40 mph. I saw some guys on the other side of the street and asked if it was safe for me to dart into the narrow roadway. They laughed. I waited for some cars to go and made a mad dash running in heels with my wine and purse in hand. I made it!

I have been looking for places but not sure which one I want yet. I found a perfect one but someone took it 3 hours after I saw it :( still looking. I really like the castlefield Area of Manchester, it has canals and it very cute.

Today I am off to Oslo for the weekend! I am excited to see Norway and go skiing! Yay!


















Location:Manchester

No comments:

Post a Comment