Saturday, January 14, 2012

York....the old one

Last night I went out in Manchester with a group of guys from work. We took the train from Preston to Victoria station in Manchester. It was about an hour ride. Once we got there we went to a bar that was from the 1700s. We sat outside. Crazy people it was about 4 degrees c. We went to several bars around Manchester. Everyone kept telling me we would get supper but after the 4th bar I knew it wasn't happening. So I switched to half pints which I thought was really silly until I was trying to keep up with 6 British gents. People ask at every bar wether you was a half or a full pint! So finally at about 11pm I got some chips(French fries). We took the train back around 1120.


Today I went to York with a guy names Patrick from work. The drive was about 2 hours. The countryside is just beautiful! We got to York and it is one of the older cities in England. It was a major trading city. They has roman, viking, middle ages and Victoria ruins throughout the city. We walked through the city, saw my first castle of England (it was rather pathetic so I am ready for the big ones!), looked at small shops and enjoyed some creeps for lunch!




Next we went to the Viking museum which had a ride in it. They have all these mock ups of Viking people that move and talk to you....it is rather scary. It wouldn't take much to make it a horror ride. Next we walked the city walls. It is soo cool they actually have moats and walls and tower gates. It is just like I learned about and played when I was little. The coolest part was a museum that was about the archeological digs in the area. I thought I was a kids museum but our guide was great and taught us a lot of history.










We drove back the country route, stopped for the mulled cider at a pub along the way and ended with some wonderful Indian food! Overall a very English day!

I hope you enjoy the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment